Sunday, January 12, 2014

More money more problems!

I remember that song more money more problems and never really understood the message in that phrase. The more money I made the more things I could buy and soon began to use money and the material things it brought to try to find happiness. My job as a conductor gave me the opportunity to make as much money as I wanted I just had to go and get it. I could work locally and make decent money or hit the road and ball out of control. Being a money motivated person at the time I decided to make as money as I could to try to find what I thought would make me happy.

Over the years I became more concerned with status, money, and success. I set goals for myself to gain material wealth and neglected what was going on at home with my family. I began to live to work and not work to live. My wife, kids, and friends got put on a back burner to my drive to be the best. During this time I still prayed to the lord everyday, attended church whenever I wasn't working, and also studied scriptures and other religious texts. Since my life was successful I felt that there was nothing wrong with what I was doing so I continued on my same path of greed and neglect. I already knew that money was the root of all evil but still loved making more. I was able to provide a good life for my wife and kids so that made me feel good about myself so I continued on. I thought I was on the right path but something was wrong. God had been trying to communicate with me but his message wasn't getting through. I had become a slave to money and let it dictate how I was living my life and the choices that were made in my families lives too. God had been trying to speak to me for a while but I didn't hear him. I feel that I was bound to money and that crossed the lines of communication between God and me. With continuing to study the word I though I was getting closer to god but actually I was getting further away.

God never gives up on his children and as I was stuck sitting at a hotel room  in Pasco after work, I began reading the new testament. As I read a scripture seemed to be talking directly to me, I read in the book of Mathew  chapter 6 verse 24 stood out which said that no one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” This time I heard loud and clear what the holy spirit was trying to tell me and now I began to hear what God had  been trying to communicate to me for all these years. Today God is breaking the bondage that  money had over my life. Listening to my Father in heaven and serving on him is what I plan on doing to achieve true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment